A routine bed sheet change turned into a terrifying ordeal for a woman in Queensland, Australia, when she discovered a deadly 6-foot eastern brown snake coiled up in her bed on Monday, March 20. The incident has garnered widespread attention and serves as a stark reminder of the dangers posed by snakes in the country.
As soon as the woman spotted the snake, she immediately closed the door to the room and placed a towel at the base of the door to prevent the snake from escaping. She then called for professional help and waited for the snake catcher, Zachery Richards, to arrive. Richards later praised the woman for her quick thinking, emphasizing that if anyone comes across a snake, they should back away slowly, leave it alone, confine it to the room, and call in a professional.
Eastern brown snakes are known to be highly venomous and have been responsible for more snake bite deaths in Australia than any other species. The Australian Museum warns anyone who suspects they have been bitten by an eastern brown snake to seek medical attention immediately.
When Richards arrived, he found the snake still curled up in the same spot, “having a snooze.” He suspected that the snake had come inside looking for shelter from the hot weather. Richards safely captured the snake and released it back into the wild, away from human habitation.
The incident serves as a chilling reminder of the importance of staying vigilant and taking precautions to avoid encounters with dangerous wildlife. Richards later shared a photo of the captured snake on social media with a warning to check your bed carefully before settling in for the night.